I love yogurt. I was brought up on yogurt. Yogurt for breakfast. Yogurt in my smoothies. Yogurt for a snack. Yogurt for dessert. So imagine my horror when I found out I had a dairy intolerance and could no longer eat my full fat beloved cow’s milk yogurt. I then went searching for dairy free yogurt in the supermarkets. I was delighted to find dairy free yogurt but yuk! It tasted like a watered down version of the real thing. I so missed my greek yogurt and even succumbed to it from time to time. So I decided to make my own…. But all the recipes called for numerous steps using gelatine as a thickener. I wanted a super easy method as every time I go to the fridge someone has finished off the yogurt!
Here is my super easy yogurt recipe. You can do this a number of ways. As it is nice to have a creamy yogurt you can either buy the coconut cream separately or you can leave the tin of coconut milk in the fridge so that the cream at the top is super thick and you can reserve the rest of the more liquidy coconut milk for your smoothie. As I am usually last minute and impatient I go for the first! This can all be done in the microwave , however if you are anti microwaving then you can heat in a saucepan over a low heat. So place your coconut cream and coconut milk in a bowl or saucepan and whisk together.
Slightly heat these together til warm. I use tapioca as a thickener as it’s gluten free and much better than gelatine. So now add your tapioca and whisk thoroughly. If you find the mixture lumpy then you can run it through a sieve. Bring the mixture to the boil and cool until its warm. While cooling you can empty your probiotic capsules. I get these in Holland Barrett but any good health shop should have these. Use 4 if it is around 20 billion strength or 2 if over 40 billion.
If you feel you would like a less tart yogurt add some slightly warmed honey to your mixture at this stage and whisk thoroughly. Scrape a vanilla pod and add this to your yogurt. Place in one large glass bowl or individual jars and top with ground nutmeg or cinnamon according to preference.
Now place the jars either in your oven with the oven light turned on for 10 hours or in your yogurt machine for 6-8 hours depending on how solid you would like it. I highly recommend a yogurt maker as it just sits on your counter top with a timer on so you can leave it on overnight without worrying about it.
You can enjoy this on its own, with a delicious compote or drizzled with honey and topped with berries.
But my favourite way is layered with berries and gluten free cinnamon oats …mmmmm.
To make a healthy compote just add 300g of berries, 2 tablespoons of honey and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Simmer for 15 minutes and cool. Delish!
- 150 ml coconut cream
- 600 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 2-4 probiotic capsules (see note)
- vanilla pod
- Honey to taste (optional)
- cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- Slightly heat the milk and cream either in a bowl in the microwave or in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the tapioca whisking thoroughly. Sieve the mixture if you find it lumpy.
- Heat to just under boiling. Cool until the mixture is warm and then empty the capsules into the mixture along with a scraped vanilla pod.
- If you wish for a less tart yogurt add 2-4 tablespoons of honey slightly warmed.
- Place in yogurt pot or small jars and top with cinnamon or nutmeg. Place in your yogurt machine for 8 hours. Chill and top with your favourite berries.
- If you do not have a yogurt machine place the jars in an oven with the light turned on for 10 hours or until set.
- Probiotic capsules come in different strengths. I use 2 capsules if around 40 billion strength or 4 capsules if around 20 billion.