There’s something special about fresh apricots which turn a plain cake into a delicious cake and this recipe for apricot and coconut spelt cake is no exception! In the Mediterranean region these fruits are abundant at this time of year. Fresh apricots are full of beta-carotene (Vitamin A), Vitamin C and fibre. And with wholemeal spelt, coconut and raw honey you can enjoy this dessert without the guilt knowing it’s full of goodness!
For this recipe try to find apricots as ripe as possible. If they are under ripe they can taste bitter. When perfectly ripe apricots taste beautifully sweet with a tart aftertaste which complement the coconut cream topping.
When making this apricot and coconut spelt cake, the sponge is baked separately first and the cream and coconut topping then spread on the top with the apricots and cooked at a low heat until set. It is delicious eaten hot or cold with a serving a of raspberries and whipped cream or coconut cream drizzled over the cake.
So to make the cake, prepare the sponge first by mixing the wholemeal and plain spelt flours, cinnamon and baking powder. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, coconut milk, honey and melted butter or olive oil. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir lightly until well combined.
Place the sponge mixture in a greased or lined springform tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until a light golden colour.
While this is baking prepare your topping. With an electric beater whisk the cream cheese, coconut cream, eggs, desiccated coconut and honey. When the sponge is ready leave to cool for 10 minutes. Spread the coconut topping over the baked sponge.
Wash the apricots, cut in half removing the stone. If the apricots aren’t as ripe as you would like then brush the cut side with melted honey and leave for 10 minutes. Place the apricots cut side down on the coconut topping.
Bake in the oven on a low heat for 25 minutes until the topping is set and turns a light golden brown colour.
Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream.
Too delish to resist!
- 100g plain spelt flour
- 100g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 50 ml coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 200g melted butter or olive oil
- 200g cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 eggs
- 8-10 apricots
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/340˚F.
- Sift the plain and wholemeal spelt flours, cinnamon and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, coconut milk, honey and melted butter or olive oil.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until smooth.
- Place in a greased or lined springform tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the sponge bounces back when pressed. Leave to cool.
- With an electric beater whisk the cream cheese, coconut cream, desiccated coconut, honey and eggs until thick and well combined. Spread this over the cooled sponge base.
- Wash the apricots, cut in half removing the stone. Place the apricots cut side down on the coconut topping.
- Turn the oven down to 160˚C/320˚F. Bake for 25 minutes until the topping is set, the apricots are baked and the cake turns a light golden brown colour. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream.
- If the apricots aren't as ripe as you would like then brush the cut side with melted honey and leave for 10 minutes before placing on the cream cheese topping.