It’s Friday, it’s cold and it’s raining and I don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen when I could be spending it curled up on the sofa by the fire watching my favourite movie …so…I’m NOT going to spend hours in the kitchen and I AM going to watch my favourite movie (which incidentally is Chocolat).. while eating a nutritious chicken satay buddha bowl! We are really enjoying our buddha bowls especially on a Friday…. minimal work, minimal time in the kitchen yet ultra healthy… what’s not to love about the buddha bowl!
Here we layer brown rice, cooked chicken breasts, cashew nuts and crunchy vegetables in a bowl and top it off with a delicious cashew satay sauce. Mix it all together and you have a heavenly bowl of deliciousness!
It’s so simple really. Just cook up some brown rice and place it in the bowl…
Then bit by bit start adding your prepared ingredients starting with sliced red cabbage….
Then sliced cooked chicken and spring onion….
Add some diced red pepper and alfalfa sprouts….
Slice the carrot lengthways and add to the bowl with lambs lettuce….
Top with crunchy bean sprouts….
Add a dollop of cashew satay sauce sprinkled with paprika and chopped cashew nuts….
Mix it all together, sit back and relax…and enjoy the movie!
If you like this then you’ll love my recipe for turkey lettuce wraps!
- 250g cooked brown rice
- 50g red cabbage
- 200g cooked chicken breasts
- 4 spring onions
- 2 handfuls alfalfa sprouts
- 3 carrots
- 2 handfuls lambs lettuce
- 30g chopped cashew nuts
- 2 handfuls bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- ¼ cup cashew nut butter
- ½ teaspoon chilli paste
- 2 tablespoons Tamara soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 200ml creamy coconut milk
- paprika to garnish
- Prepare the satay sauce by adding all the ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until well combined and simmer for 5 minutes stirring continuously until thickened. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the brown rice.
- Cook the chicken breasts and cut into slices.
- Prepare the vegetables. Thinly slice the red cabbage. Slice the spring onions. Cut the carrots into thin strips.
- In each bowl place a layer of rice. Top with the red cabbage, chicken strips, spring onions, alfalfa sprouts, carrots and lettuce.
- Top with a handful of bean sprouts, coriander and chopped nuts. Finish with a dollop of satay sauce and paprika.
- Mix together and enjoy!
- For extra spice, top with slices of chilli.