Usually when you think of digesting something light and refreshing you think of a sparkling drink or a light fluffy dessert and don’t expect to get it in a meal. But with my recipe for minty pea and pistachio falafel you certainly do! I have always loved the combination of fresh peas and mint. And drizzled with a delicious pesto yogurt sauce and topped with pomegranate seeds these minty pea and pistachio falafel will have you coming back for more! Really simple to make, this recipe is super healthy as it is baked in the oven and is full of protein. A perfect vegetarian meal for the whole family.
It’s as easy as that! Enjoy!
- 1 cup cooked fresh or frozen peas
- 1½ cups cooked chick peas
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- grated zest from 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large handful fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- 100g natural yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/340ºF. Place the cooked peas and chick peas in a bowl. Mash until soft.
- Place the nuts in a food processor and grind until chopped into fine pieces but not ground. Add these to the peas and chick peas.
- Chop the fresh mint finely and add this to the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Season to taste.
- Form into round shapes. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes on a lined baking sheet.
- Serve drizzled with the basil yogurt sauce and pomegranate seeds.
- To make the basil yogurt sauce, simply mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- By mashing the mixture you get a nutty texture. However if you prefer a smooth falafel then use a food processor to combine.
- If the mixture is too wet add some quinoa flour.
If you enjoy these then you’ll love my recipe for Carrot and Coriander Falafel