This pesto fish bake is the easiest and tastiest fish bake you will ever make. The soft texture of the fish and the crunchy texture of the topping along with basil pesto is the perfect combination to enhance the flavour of the fish… It is a perfect mid-week family meal for the busy parent and an easy recipe to get the teenagers cooking in the kitchen!
I use hake as it is light yet meaty so won’t fall apart when cooking but this recipe also works well with any meaty fish like cod and turbot. Grease a baking dish and place the fillets in the dish. Brush with olive oil to retain the moisture when cooking and season with salt and pepper. To make the topping place 2 slices of wholemeal or gluten-free bread and pulse until they resemble breadcrumbs. Place them in a bowl. Then place the almonds in the processor and pulse until they resemble thickly chopped nuts. Add these to the breadcrumbs in the bowl along with the pesto and whole pine nuts. Mix until well combined. If you are in a hurry, you can add the nuts and bread together in the processor then mix in the pesto and pine nuts at the end.
Place the topping on the fish so it covers the entire dish. Top with slices of lime. I don’t add garlic to this dish as there is garlic in the pesto but if you would like an extra garlic flavour then by all means add some minced garlic to the topping.
Cover with baking paper and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove the paper and bake uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
Top with a lime slice and a fresh basil leaf.
When you take the first bite you know it won’t be your last as this is a dish you will make over and over again! Delicious served with a crunchy green salad, giant couscous salad or mediterranean quinoa.
- 6 large hake fillets
- 4 slices wholemeal bread or gluten free bread
- 1 cup/150g raw almonds, soaked in water then drained
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- lime slices
- basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 340˚F/170˚C.
- Grease a baking dish with olive oil. Place the fish fillets in the dish and brush with olive oil and season.
- Place the bread in a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Place in a bowl.
- Add the almonds to the food processor then pulse until they resemble thickly chopped nuts. Add these to the breadcrumbs along with the pesto and the pine nuts. Mix well.
- Place the crumb topping on the fish so that it covers the entire dish.
- Top with slices of lime. Cover with baking paper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the baking paper and continue to bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with a slice of lime and fresh basil leaf.
- If you are in a hurry, pulse the bread and nuts together and add the pesto and pine nuts at the end to make a super fast topping.