Everyone needs a quick and easy recipe for healthy berry muffins when the craving takes you by surprise. Maybe your great aunt Mary is coming for last minute tea or you realise you have run out of bread for breakfast. Help is at hand! This is my go-to recipe for healthy blueberry lemon muffins and not only is it healthy with no refined sugar, but it is bursting with circus and blueberry goodness and flavour.
You can use fresh or frozen blueberries in this recipe so you will always have the ingredients handy which means you can have healthy blueberry lemon muffins any time of the day. Forget nipping down to the shop for overly processed muffins as these are so quick and easy to make they are baked before you can say “let them eat cake!”
If you think you are over indulging with a sugary glaze topping then think again! The topping is made from Greek yogurt and honeyed blueberry puree and drizzled on top. Use a Greek yogurt like Fage Greek Yogurt as this is pure Greek yogurt and not Greek style. Always go for full fat as any yogurt advertised as low fat is laden with sugar! Greek yogurt adds a light tartness to the sweetness of the muffin.
Perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea. Don’t forget the flowers! They add a beautiful touch to any table setting and make your food stand out.
Just drizzle the yogurt topping over the top of the muffin and it is ready for serving.
If you like these healthy blueberry lemon muffins then you will love my recipe for vegan chocolate cherry cupcakes, another delicious addition to a nice cup of tea!
Healthy Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 275g white spelt four
- 100g wholemeal spelt flour (or 375g white spelt flour if you want to omit wholemeal)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 100g coconut sugar
- zest from 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- 200ml milk or dairy free milk
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon tapioca
- 2 tablespoons blueberry puree or jam
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C.
- In a large bowl sieve the flour and baking powder together. Add the coconut sugar and lemon zest and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk the milk and eggs until smooth. Add the milk, olive oil and honey and whisk until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Add the muffin mixture to the muffin cases until almost full.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the topping, whisk all the ingredients together. Drizzle with a piping bag or teaspoon over the cooled muffins. Enjoy!
Note: You may substitute coconut sugar for brown sugar or if you want to omit the sugar then add 4 – 5 tablespoons of honey to the wet mixture and reduce the milk to 180ml.