These fish tacos are the perfect weekend recipe. Healthy, easy to make and perfect for lunch, dinner or as a snack with your favourite weekend tipple. I call these my skinny fish tacos as they are my comfort skinny food when craving something other than a salad!
The saltiness of the fish, combined with the sweetness of the mango, the spicy kick in the tomato salsa, seriously hot jalapeño peppers, the coolness of the mint salsa and finally the crunchy bite of the taco shell will give you every flavour, aroma and texture…you’ll ever crave!
I use hake as I love its meaty texture which doesn’t fall apart during baking. I mix it with olive oil, spices and crushed garlic then top it with lime wedges and bake it for 20 minutes…
It comes out of the oven crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Mmm ..Mmmm..
Now make your toppings: A delicious spicy tomato salsa..
A fruity but moderately spicy mango salsa…
A tantalising fresh cool and minty yogurt salsa…
Prepare all the toppings and fillings… mixed lettuce, grated carrots, shredded red cabbage and sliced avocado.
Now here comes the fun part… Time to alert the troops to assemble their fish tacos before it’s too late!
Place the lettuce and red cabbage in the taco shells…
Top with grated carrots and the baked fish…
Then with some sliced avocado….
Scatter with mango salsa…
And finally, finish off with the spicy tomato and cooling mint salsas. Top with freshly chopped coriander and jalapeño peppers for that extra spice. If you want to make it a cheesy one then add some grated cheddar cheese.
Chilli and spice and all things nice…
Don’t mind if I do….
Also delicious in a wholemeal tortilla wrap….
If you like these you’ll love our turkey lettuce wraps!
- 4 large fillets fresh hake or meaty white fish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 lime
- Taco shells or tortilla wraps
- 1 fresh mango
- zest and juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
- 1 red chilli, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 250ml/1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 large handful fresh mint, chopped
- sprinkle of salt
- 2 carrots, grated
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 avocados
- mixed lettuce
- green jalapeño peppers, optional
- Preheat the oven to 175˚C.
- In a bowl mix the olive oil, paprika, chilli powder and seasoning until mixed thoroughly. Mix in the crushed garlic.
- Cut the fish into bite-sized chunks. Rub the spice mix over the fish and place in a lined oven proof dish. Top with lime slices. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until cooked through and nicely browned.
- Prepare the salsas. For the mango salsa dice the mango into small cubes. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- For the tomato salsa, chop the tomatoes into small pieces. Mix all the remaining ingredients. To mince the chilli remove the seeds and chop into small pieces and grind in a pestle and mortar. Reserve the seeds to add for extra spice.
- For the mint yogurt salsa, mix greek yogurt, chopped mint and salt and mix well.
- To assemble the tacos, place the lettuce first, then the cabbage and grated carrots in the taco shells. Add the baked hake and top with avocado. Then spoon over the salsas and top with jalapeño peppers and chopped coriander.
- For cheesy tacos, top with grated cheddar cheese.
- For extra spice why not add some extra chopped red chilli or extra sweet chilli sauce.
- Delicious served with Mexican rice and a side salad.