You won’t be able to resist these cakes made with cauliflower roasted in spices, kale and quinoa. High in protein they are perfect to provide you with that energy boost at lunchtime or for your vegetarian meal in the evening…. For years I hated cauliflower. It was either over boiled or plain, tasting virtually of nothing. You had to smother it in cheese sauce to have any flavour. That was until I discovered that roasting cauliflower brings out the sweetness and flavour of the cauliflower. It has now become a family favourite and we now eat roasted cauliflower at least once a fortnight.
We love vegetarian food in our family and are always looking for ways to spice it up. These cakes are perfect as the roasted cauliflower, kale and quinoa complement each other and are enhanced by delicious spices.
Start by preparing your cauliflower. Preheat your oven and cut the cauliflower into small pieces. In a bowl mix your spices, seasoning and olive oil. Add the cauliflower and toss in the spice mixture. Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes turning every 10 minutes until tender and golden brown.
Cook the quinoa in vegetable stock and leave to cool. Lightly pan fry the kale in olive oil and seasoning until tender. Now mix the roasted cauliflower, kale and quinoa with the remaining ingredients and form into cakes.
Dip in gluten-free flour and lightly pan fry to seal. Then place them on a baking tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Alternatively you may grill them but watch them closely.
These are delicious served with a sprout salad al fresco… even if it has been raining!
- 600g cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 large handfuls kale
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup quinoa flour or gluten free flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons flour for coating, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F.
- Prepare the cauliflower by cutting into bite size florets.
- In a large bowl mix the olive oil, turmeric, ground coriander and cumin seeds. Add the cauliflower and toss until well coated.
- Spread out on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown turning with a spatula every 10 minutes.
- Lightly cook the kale by sautéing for 10 minutes.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and add the cauliflower which will break up as you mix it. Shape into round cakes and dip them in flour.
- Pan fry in olive oil to seal and place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- If the mixture is too wet then add more flour. If it is too dry then add an extra small egg.
- This is also delicious made with grated courgette instead of kale. Make sure to leave the grated courgette in a colander for 10 minutes to get rid of as much water as possible then squeeze out the excess.