There’s nothing like a hot bowl of soup to warm you on a cold day. Better still if it is sweet and aromatic to give you that feel-good factor especially in the middle of the day. Roasting vegetables brings out the sweetness in them especially garlic and cherry tomatoes. This is delicious served with my super seed bread (I will be providing this recipe very soon!). This is the perfect soup to introduce to toddlers and young children if soup isn’t their favourite thing as the sweetness leads them to believe they are getting something special!
Garlic is just sooooo good for you! Full of antioxidants to help fight that cold and it tastes so good when it is roasted. Roast garlic is the top of my list when roasting our Sunday vegetables or to add to any casserole to add sweetness. I often roast 3 heads of garlic and pop them in the fridge so that it is ready anytime I want to add it to my cooking. And of course tomatoes are so good for you too… and the redder the better. But cherry tomatoes to me tops them all. I use the vine ripened tomatoes as these are full of flavour and richness.
I pop this on a greased roasting tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes while I wash my cherry tomatoes. I then place these on the tray with the garlic, then season and spray with some olive oil .
Roast these for a further 20-25 minutes until the skin starts to split and turns brown. Like so. Mmm the aromas make me want to eat them RIGHT NOW!
Measure out your vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Add your freshly grated or ground turmeric. Squeeze out the garlic cloves and along with the tomatoes place these into the stock and bring back to the boil.
Now it’s time to blend everything together. You can use your soup blitzer but I prefer my blender as it blends the tomatoes and their skins to a fine pulp. Chop up some fresh basil leaving a few leaves whole for serving. Add these to the soup and serve hot in a soup bowl . I love mine topped with creme fraiche and a basil leaf but it’s delicious on its own too. Yum!
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 kg cherry tomatoes
- A handful of basil leaves
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Olive oil for spraying
- Creme fraiche for serving
- Preheat your oven to 200˚C.
- Chop the top of your bulb of garlic to expose the cloves. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven and add your cherry tomatoes. Spray with a small amount of olive oil and add your seasoning.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the skins start to split and turn brown.
- Measure out your vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Squeeze out the garlic cloves and add to the stock along with the tomatoes. Blitz in a food processor or thermomix.
- Chop some basil reserving some whole for serving. Season to taste and serve hot topped with creme fraiche and a basil leaf.
- Tip: Use ripe tomatoes as unripened tomatoes can make it less sweet and aromatic.