I am always on the look out for healthy snacks and these cashew butter energy bites will convert you into making your own healthy snacks. Not only are they very simple to make but they are also tastier than any healthy snack I have ever tasted and I can guarantee you that no energy bite (or ball) you buy will match up to these. They are slightly hard on the outside but when you bite into them they are soft and luxuriously silky on the inside.
They can be made in a food processor in minutes and I have to say that most things I bake these days are assisted by my fabulous friend the thermomix. In our busy every-day lives you CAN rustle up a quick snack in minutes so I urge anyone who wants to save time and doesn’t have a good quality food processor to go out and buy one NOW. It will save you time and energy. Not to mention the money you are saving. I mean, do you know how much an energy ball costs? Often over 2 euro a piece when you can make 10 for the same price.
The thermomix is at the high end of the market as it does literally everything from blending, chopping to cooking and steaming. If only it could do the dishes as well. However if you are on more of a budget I would recommend the Magimix or the Kitchen Aid which never fail to impress.
Then there’s the ingredients. You know exactly what is going into your snack so you won’t feel any guilt or wonder what you are eating is healthy or not.
Then there’s the size. You can make them large or small to decide on your own portion control. These are a perfect snack for the kids or for the parent watching their own waistline. There is no added sugar in them as the dates provide the sweetness so you know what you are eating is 100% natural goodness. If you like them sweeter then add some raw honey or maple syrup for vegans but we like them just the way they are!
So let’s talk about the ingredients of these cashew butter energy bites. The dates provide the sweetness as well as vitamins, minerals and nutrients. The nut butter provides the protein and minerals. The oats give you slow-releasing energy that lasts for hours. The maca powder adds a caramel undertone to the energy bite as well as extra protein and essential vitamins and minerals. Eating healthier has just got easier!
Cashew Butter Energy Bites
- 50g cashew nuts
- 1 cup/60g rolled oats
- 1 cup/160g dates or dried figs or a mix of both
- 1 cup cashew nut butter
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon milled chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon organic maca powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, optional
- Begin by crushing the cashew nuts with a rolling pin or in a food processor until as finely ground as possible. Set aside.
- Place the oats in a food processor and blend until fine. Remove from the processor and set aside.
- Add the dried fruit to the processor and pulverise until chopped as finely as possible.
- Add the oats, cashew nut butter, flax seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon and maple syrup if using to the dates. Blend.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons water and blend until the mixture comes together. The amount depends on the dryness of the dates. The more moist the dates the less water you will need.
- Roll the mixture into bite sized pieces.
- Place the crushed cashew nuts on baking paper and roll the balls in the crushed cashews.
- Place the cashew butter energy bites in the fridge for one hour until they set slightly. Place in a container with a tight fitting lid. Enjoy!
You can make your own cashew nut butter by adding cashew nuts to a food processor and pulverising until smooth. Add water or coconut oil a drop at a time and blend until smooth.
If you like these then you will love my recipe for Raw Cacao Energy Balls.