These Vegan Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes are the perfect guilty pleasure to have this weekend. I don’t know about you but I think we deserve it! It’s February, it’s cold and summer seems like an eternity away.
One of these cupcakes will make you feel like you are on cloud nine as they are rich, moist and when you bite into them you get the pleasant surprise of aromatic cherry compote. Topped with swirls of light vegan buttercream or vegan chocolate ganache they are impossible to resist ! Guilty as charged as I added both!
I then top it off with a fresh chocolate dipped cherry. Well you know what they say: life is just a bowl of cherries. So why not add them to a chocolate cupcake!
The cherry compote is made with fresh cherries and mixed spice which gives it an exciting surprise which you may not expect when you reach the middle. For adults, I added some of my homemade cherry brandy to give it that little kick. The sponge is moist and chocolatey and whether you are vegan or non vegan you will find this your go-to chocolate cupcake recipe.
The chocolate ganache is to die for and I hope you have some left like I did to serve with some dairy free ice-cream!
Vegan Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
- 180g plain flour
- 110g coconut sugar
- 40g raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 180ml dairy free milk
- 80ml rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 100g fresh cherries
- 40ml fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cherry brandy, optional
- 110g dairy free butter or margarine
- 250g organic icing sugar
- 80g coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon cherry puree
Vegan Chocolate Ganache
- 200g vegan chocolate or chocolate chips
- 125ml coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl add the remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and mix until well combined.
- Spoon into cupcake cases up to two thirds full and bake for 18 minutes until cooked. Leave to cool.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the cherry compote. Wash and stone the cherries, cut into quarters and place in a small saucepan. Add the remaining compote ingredients and simmer on a very low heat for 15 minutes stirring regularly until the cherries are cooked.
- To make the vegan buttercream icing, beat the butter until soft and add sieved icing sugar. Beat until smooth. Add the coconut cream at intervals and beat in between. Fold in the pureed cherries.
- To make the vegan chocolate ganache, chop the chocolate into small pieces. Heat the coconut cream until just boiling. Turn off the heat and add the chocolate to the cream stirring constantly until smooth. If it is runny then place in the fridge for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- To assemble the cupcakes, cut a small round piece from the top off each cupcake, fill with 1 teaspoon of cherry compote and replace the top of the sponge. Pipe a swirl of buttercream on the top and pour some chocolate ganache over the buttercream. Top with a chocolate dipped cherry.