I’ve always loved my potato salad…. normally drizzled with a creamy chive mayonnaise dressing… but this salad of warm chorizo and roasted potato drizzled with a creamy feta yogurt and mint dressing puts any other potato salad into the shade. It is really simple to make and can even be eaten cold. So make sure you make an extra large one as you’ll be thankful of that the next day! The flavour of the roast potato combined with paprika and chilli powder with smoky chorizo is a perfect combination but married with the delicious feta mint dressing and soft boiled eggs sprinkled with smoky paprika is the icing on the cake… or should I say salad. This salad isn’t complete without the feta topping or the yolks oozing out of the eggs.
Start by washing the potatoes and dabbing them dry with some kitchen paper. Slice them into one inch slices and place them in a bowl. Add the olive oil, paprika and chilli powder and mix until well coated. Bake them in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until cooked. Leave them in the oven to warm while you prepare the rest of the salad ingredients.
Prepare the fresh chorizo. You can now find fresh chorizo more readily available in most supermarkets abroad if not in Spain. I was amazed to find some in Dunnes Stores supermarket. And every Spanish supermarket sells Chorizo Barbacoa. Chorizo has a nice smoky taste to it so it complements the smoked paprika roasted potatoes. Peel the skin off the chorizo and slice into thick slices. Pan fry in olive oil for 5 minutes on each side over a moderate heat. Leave the chorizo in the pan to keep warm with the heat turned off until ready to serve.
Make the salad dressing. This is similar to a recipe found on my blog post 3 delicious dips. I place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth… greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, feta cheese and fresh parsley.
Meanwhile bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Place the eggs gently in the water and boil for no longer than 5 minutes. Drain the water and steep in cold water. After 5 minutes peel the eggs gently. Wash and dry the lettuce and place at the bottom of the salad bowl. Top with the roast potatoes and chorizo and drizzle with the feta dressing.
I drizzle the dressing on the salad before adding the eggs and avocado
Just before serving add sliced avocado. Slice the eggs in half and place on top of the salad. Sprinkle with extra paprika.
Serve immediately and eat it like there’s no tomorrow…
- 5 large potatoes
- 100g fresh chorizo
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 2 avocados, optional
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 100g feta cheese
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C. Wash and slice the potato into 1 inch slices.
- Place the slices of potato in a bowl along with the olive oil, garlic salt, paprika and chilli powder. Mix until well coated. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes until cooked.
- Peel the skin off the chorizo and slice into thick slices. Pan fry 5 minutes on each side over a moderate heat.
- Boil the eggs for no longer than 5 minutes. Drain the water and steep in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Wash the lettuce and place in a salad bowl. Top with the potatoes and chorizo. Drizzle with the dressing.
- Peel the eggs and slice in half . Sprinkle with extra paprika. Peel the avocados and slice. Add the eggs and avocado to the salad.
- Serve immediately.
- Place all the salad dressing ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth.